Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tessa

We lost our heart today.

Our dog Tessa had to be put to sleep as she had Canine Myelopathy. It is a nerve disorder similar to ALS in humans. She was a bright and smart girl but had lost the ability to move her hind legs and all her muscles from the middle of her body had stopped working. This in turn effected her bowels, and that made it time for the most difficult decision.

She is in heaven as all dogs go to heaven. She is there with our other dogs and enjoying the ability to run across endless fields....she loved to run and was one of the best dogs anyone could ever have.

In tribute, the enclosed poem is how I will remember her. A strong and smart companion that was the smartest and most loved dog we could ever imagine.

JUST MY DOG

She is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
My other ears that hear above the winds.
She is the part of me that reaches out into the sea.

She has told me a thousand times over that I'm
her reason for being.
by the way she rests against my leg;
by the way she thumps her tail at my smallest smile;
by the way she shows her hurt when I leave
without taking her.

I think it makes her worry when she is not along
to care for me.

When I am wrong, she is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, she clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, she is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, she ignores it.
When I succeed, she brags.

Without her, I am only another person.
With her, I am all powerful.
She is loyalty itself.
She has taught me the meaning of devotion.

With her, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
She has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
Her head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
Her presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.

She has promised to wait for me, whenever, wherever in case I need her.
And I expect I will, as I always have.

She is my dog.

2 comments:

PME said...

I am so very, very sorry about Tessa.

Middleboro Jones said...

Thanks for the kind words.....she is missed and will always be in our hearts. We will see her again when we meet her in heaven.